Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Greensworld

The former Greensworld has been reduced to just green again.


Editor's Note: Welcome back to Brazos Buildings & Businesses! I know I did promise a post on Post Oak Mall, which can be seen at this older post here. It also includes an update of another old post to cover stores from 1982 to 1992. Future updates (92-02, 02-12, 12-present) will probably replace existing posts, such as this outmoded post. But enough on that, it's time to talk golf...

In fact, one of the reasons I'm even bringing up this course was because my original plan was to use Post Oak Mall to segue into another series on Highway 6. That was probably too ambitious, but I have one more story along Highway 6 that's worth telling that I have never yet covered on this blog.

One of the College Station's pre-2000s golf courses was located off of Highway 6, with the clubhouse roughly between Douglass Nissan and the now-closed Ninfa's. The actual greens were accessed by a concrete bridge, and at some point, a flood washed out the other side's connection. I remember getting a picture of said bridge a few years ago (it's still behind Hampton Inn) but I can't seem to find it in my "file morgue". The address is a bit of a question, the 1989 phone book suggests 1101 East Bypass as the address, but the early 1990s phone book says 1005 (likely the "real" address).

As Douglass Nissan was built in 1996, that's probably when the golf course closed, despite not actually taking up the golf course land or the club house area. The club house remained into 2005, with Douglass Nissan tearing it down by 2008 and developing it as an expansion in 2012.